It doesn’t matter how clean your home is, disrepair and structural issues can result in a flurry of unwelcome guests. Infestations can spread diseases, damage your home and belongings, sting or bite and aggravate asthma, eczema and other allergies. Take at a look at our guide to dealing with household pests for details on how to handle all kinds of infestations, such as mice, moths and squirrels.

So, who’s responsibility is it – yours or your landlord’s?

Your landlord may claim that the infestation is your responsibility, especially in the case of fleas brought in by a household pet or mice attracted by food and rubbish. If the problem is caused by disrepair, for example, damp conditions which encourage cockroaches, you should report this to your landlord as soon as possible.

What if the pests are coming from next door?

You may suspect that your neighbours are responsible for attracting pests into the area. Your first step should be to talk to your neighbours or try talking to their landlord. We have some helpful advice on dealing with antisocial behaviour. If this doesn’t work, you can contact the council’s environmental health department, who can help you resolve the problem.

What should you do if the problem can’t be resolved?

If you rent your home and the infestation can’t be controlled, you may have no option but to move out. In this situation, your landlord can’t expect you to stay put until your lease is up, because your home is no longer habitable due to infestation.