What on earth is micro-volunteering I hear you ask? Don’t worry, it’s the same question that everyone asks when they hear the phrase for the first time.
Basically, it’s a small, speedy, low commitment action, that helps an organisation like ours to achieve our objectives. “Virtual volunteering” if you like.
At Shelter Scotland, we understand that many people are very enthusiastic about supporting us and the work that we do, but are unable to commit to a regular volunteering session. To help make it easier for anyone to get involved, we want to give you the possibility of volunteering for us without leaving the sofa – tasks you can do in your tea break, on your lunch break or even on your commute to work.
If you take a look at our opportunities below, you will see that micro-volunteering puts you in total control of your time. You can choose where, when and how often you undertake a volunteering task. You have no need to undergo any reference or disclosure checks (which can often delay the start of a volunteering opportunity) You do not even need to leave the comfort of your own home.
- Sign up to support our current campaign to Make Renting Right
- Like our Facebook page – and share with your facebook friends
- Follow us on Twitter and retweet our content
- Follow our updates on Instagram
- Donate to or arrange a donation drive with your friends for Shelter Scotland shops
- Spread the word about our online housing advice and free national helpline
- Write a letter (anonymously) for one our clients to help encourage them as they start a new life
- Write an encouraging letter to one of the prisoners that we support
- Send us feedback about our website
- Contribute to a web page where we will have ideas and hints and tips for people suffering bad housing / homelessness (i.e. ideas to make money go further / good local places/ shops/ support groups to go to)
- Take ownership of your local street / area and leaflet for us
- Complete a questionnaire to help shape and improve our services
- Come up with your own ideas!
Some of the tasks will take a few minutes, and some will take longer. Whichever task you choose to do, please know that your time and effort will be appreciated by Shelter Scotland and the people across Scotland that we support.
If you would like to talk about any of the opportunities, please contact our volunteering team on 0344 515 2355 / 2307 or email@example.com.